View a copy of William PRAYLE's discharge certificate at:
William PRAYLE has proven to be a rather elusive ancestor. I have been searching for info on him since 1980. I was very fortunate that before my Grandmother Amelia Cook (Prayle) died she gave me:
- An original parchment certificate belonging to William Prayle
- His original wedding certificate from Dublin 1850 and a
- glass photo of William and a glass photo of his wife Margaret (Walsh)
Having those four important documents / photos has enabled me to find out:
- William Prayle was in the 40th Regiment of Foot which I may have never known
- He was married in Dublin
- Seeing what my ancestor looked like.
When I first saw the glass photo of William Prayle I could not believe the resemblance between a photo of William taken around 1850 and a photo of my brother Dennis Jones taken around 1978.
I could not believe how my brother looked so much like his Great, Great Grandfather. I thought I was just imagining things but when I showed it to other people they agreed with me. There is a copy of Williams parchment certificate on the Ballarat site for all to see. I will eventually include a photo of William and my brother Dennis. If you agree they look so much alike e-mail me. Dennis died at aged 45 in 1993 and Im sure he would be very interested to know he looked like his ancestor. I do not have any other information on William Prayle as his birth/baptism records have not been 100% confirmed.